NEW YORK — The Yale women’s soccer team fell 1-0 to Columbia in Friday night’s match at Columbia Soccer Stadium. Lion forward Sophie Reiser scored the sole goal of the night Friday, putting her team up by one in the 36th minute.. The loss knocked the Elis (9-6-0, 4-2-0 Ivy) from first place in the conference standings. Prior to the Bulldogs’ contest with the Lions (7-6-3, 3-2-1 Ivy), Yale and Harvard topped the league with identical 4-1 records.

The Bulldogs struggled to capitalize on opportunities throughout the match Friday, notching just one shot during the first half. While the Lions only had two shots that period, they made one of those attempts count. Reiser scored off a corner kick, breaking through a cluster of players and finding the back of the net from her position by the left post. (Bulldog head coach Rudy Meredith noted that Reiser was voted the league’s best player in 2008.)

Yale increased its pressure in the second half, but Columbia matched the Elis in energy and pace. It looked like the Bulldogs might tie the game right after the halftime restart when forward Becky Brown ’11 crossed a ball to forward Miyuki Hino ’12 in the 46th minute. But Hino’s diving header soared just high of goal.

The Elis and Lions tallied five shots apiece in the second half, but neither side was able to capitalize. Columbia controlled the offense for much of the second period and recorded a 4-0 advantage in corners.

Yale has slipped from first-place conference status, but the overall league standings will be contingent on the outcomes of this weekend’s other Ivy matches — especially the Harvard-Dartmouth competition on Saturday.

The Crimson are 4-1 in league play, while the Big Green hold a 3-2 conference record.

Yale faces off against Brown next Saturday for the season’s final Ivy game.