This year’s field hockey edition of the Quinnipiac-Yale rivalry may have been an ugly win for the Bulldogs (9–5, 3–1 Ivy), but thanks to a postgame scoring change, the story of the day was senior midfielder Katie Cantore ’10. Cantore tallied her 15th assist of the season (in addition to her first goal of the season), making her Yale’s all-time single-season leader.

The record-breaker came 27 minutes into the first half when Cantore set up back Erin Carter ’12 for a shot that was deflected off a Quinnipiac player in front of the net and then went in for Carter’s seventh goal of the year, and sixth in the last seven games. The assist was initially credited to captain Julia Weiser ’10, but a post-game review and consultation with the NCAA revealed that the assist really belonged to Cantore.

Cantore capped off Yale’s scoring just three minutes later with her first goal of the season, the eventual game-winner, to give the Elis a 2–0 lead they would not relinquish.

Quinnipiac finally got on the board with a goal in the final minute of the game, but the tight 2–1 final score is not indicative of how close the game was. The Bulldogs dominated throughout, outshooting the Wildcats 31-4, and enjoying a telling 15-2 advantage in penalty corners. But despite the offensive onslaught, the Elis failed to capitalize on numerous scoring chances, making the win a difficult one.

“It was definitely frustrating,” forward Mary Beth Barham ’13 said. “We needed to capitalize on our scoring opportunities, but overall we did enough to come up with the win, which is what we needed to do.”

Ugly or not, the win will be a memorable one for Cantore. Her 15 assists this season not only put her first all-time in the single-season category, but give her 28 in her career, good for sole possession of second place on the all-time Yale list.

“It’s cool to break the record simply because it’s a reflection on where our team is this season.” Cantore said. “Obviously we can’t get assists without getting goals, so this is just a testament to how well our team has done dominating in the circle this year.”

The Yale offense has, indeed, been dominant. Their two goals Thursday give them 40 in just 14 games this season. They have outshot opponents 272-168, and have been granted 149 corners to their opponents’ 105. That offense has led the Bulldogs to their current 9–5 record and a 3–1 record in the Ivy League, good for second in the league. But with three Ivy League games remaining, the Bulldogs will have to start taking advantage of scoring opportunities if they want to remain in a good position at the end of the season.

“We had a lot of opportunities: a lot of shots, a lot of penalty corners. ” midfielder Dinah Landshut ’12 said. “We got the win but we have to capitalize if we want to keep winning.”

The Elis will look to do just that Sunday in Philadelphia when they take on Ivy League rival Penn at Franklin Field.