Where I Went: Alpha Delta Pizza, 371 Elm Street

What I Ate: Grilled Chicken Pita

What It Set Me Back: $6.50 plus tax

Everyone knows about the wenzel, but the depth of Alpha Delta’s menu goes far beyond the popular buffalo chicken sub eaten by so many Yalies. Whether you’re in the mood for pizza, pasta, wings, burgers, salads or seafood, Alpha Delta has you covered. A mere phone call away and open almost up to the crack of dawn, this small joint on Elm Street has been a beacon of light for many a student searching for that perfect cap to a long New Haven evening.

Although there’s much to recommend here, if you’re feeling like something simple that doesn’t compromise taste, go for the grilled chicken pita. Exemplary proof that less is sometimes more, this sandwich combines juicy chunks of grilled bird with lettuce, tomato and melted cheese (hold the mayo please!). But it’s the wonderful bread that truly makes this sandwich transcend the realm of the ordinary. Acting as a mitt for its simple ingredients, the warm, pillow-soft pita absorbs the chicken juices and gobs of cheese, melding everything together into an amalgam of pure, tasty comfort. And at a mere $6.50, this is one hefty sandwich that for sure won’t break the bank!

Alpha Delta is open until 3 a.m Sunday through Wednesday, and until 4 a.m. Thursday through Saturday. Delivery is free with an $8.00 minimum purchase and runs until 2 in the morning.