Despite Sunday’s inclement weather, the Yale men’s golf team prevailed to take second place at the Dartmouth Invitational, while the Yale women’s golf team fell victim to the rain, which forced it to take Saturday’s fourth-place finish as the final result.

The men (583) lost the tournament by four shots to Dartmouth (579). Fordham took third place, followed by Boston College and Central Connecticut. Eleven teams competed in total.

The Bulldog freshmen dominated Dartmouth’s par-71 course. After playing 36 holes Brad Kushner ’13 shot an impressive 144, as did Carson Weinand ’13. They tied for sixth place.

“It was amazing to play with a team that gave me so much support and so many words of encouragement throughout the tournament,” Kushner said.

Captain Ben Wescoe ’10 added, “The freshmen led the team in this tournament. They were very impressive. We are very proud of them.”

Kushner and Weinand exceeded the expectations that are typical for freshmen.

“Usually there is a steep learning curve for the freshmen, and each have shown tremendous poise,” head coach Colin Sheehan said. “They performed like veterans in their very first college tournament.”

Wescoe and Tom McCarthy ’11 tied for 12th place after shooting 148, and Brandon Marick ’11 took 27th after shooting 151.

“The competition was great this weekend,” Wescoe said. “It’s unfortunate to lose, but we are very hungry to win and ready to defend our home course next weekend, especially with Dartmouth and Harvard coming.”

Next week the Bulldogs host the MacDonald Cup.

“The team looks forward to carrying this momentum into next weekend,” Sheehan said. “Tom McCarthy and Ben Wescoe, along with the rest of the freshmen, look forward to winning the Cup for first time in Yale history.”

The women’s golf team was home this weekend to host the Yale Women’s Intercollegiate. Yale (626) finished fourth on Saturday behind Boston College, Penn and Harvard (610), who took first place on the par-71 course. Thirteen teams total competed, including Brown, who took fifth, and Dartmouth, who took ninth. Each player shot 36 holes.

After a victory in the Towson Invitational last weekend, it seems the weather got the better of the Bulldogs this week.

“We all really wanted to win this one, and we were really confident coming into this tournament … We all really wanted to play today [Sunday], we know we can come back from behind,” captain Taylor Lee ’10 said.

Two Elis finished in the top 10. Cassie Boles ’11 (151) took third place in the tournament; Harriet Owers-Bradley ’11 (153) took sixth place. Alexandra Lipa ’13 (158) came in 22nd, Lee (164) came in 39th and Alyssa Roland ’11 (166) came in 42nd.

“Golf is one of those sports where you have your ups and your downs. A couple of my players had their downs at their same time,” coach Chawwadee Rompothong ’00 said. “The putting yesterday was one of our biggest problems … the greens were really fast.”

All of the tournaments are in preparation for the Ivy Championship, at which the Bulldogs lost to Harvard by two strokes last year.

“It was tough losing to Harvard. All that matters is that we win at the end of the year at Ivies,” Boles said.