For the Yale women’s soccer team, last night’s game finished 30 seconds too soon.

A 1-1 tie score against Stony Brook (1-5-1) carried well into double overtime, but with just half a minute remaining the Seawolves scored off a free kick to steal the 2-1 win.

“I think we got tired,” midfielder Kate Macauley ’11 said. “We need to work on picking ourselves up when we go into overtime, and realize it’s a battle until the end.”

While Yale (3-2) at times struggled to put shots away, Stony Brook capitalized on scoring opportunities throughout the match.

“They were a little better in the attacking third,” head coach Rudy Meredith said of the Seawolves. “They were a little more dangerous when they had their scoring chances, and I thought they were a little more competitive around the goal than we were.”

Adele Jackson-Gibson ’13 also noted that Yale missed several key scoring chances.

“We missed a lot of our shots because we panicked in the box and we shot them over or wide or to the keeper,” she said.

Still, Yale and Stony Brook looked evenly matched for the first 90 minutes of play. The Bulldogs handled the scoreless first half with ease, outshooting Stony Brook 7-3 and forcing Seawolf goalkeeper Marisa Viola to make three early saves.

“We had more scoring chances than they did, but it was a very solid game,” Meredith said of the first half.

Yale continued to dictate the game’s pace when the second half began. In the 52nd minute of play, a combination out of the midfield let forward Becky Brown ’11 break away and score on a through-ball played by midfielder Megan Ashforth ’10.

But just 10 minutes later, the Seawolves countered when their midfielder dribbled through Yale’s defense and left-footed a ball into the net.

By the end of the second half, Yale had tallied twice as many shots as Stony Brook — with 12 attempts to the Seawolves’ six. But then everything changed in overtime.

Yale had two shots during the first 10-minute overtime, but was unable to find the net. Stony Brook had no chance on goal.

But the second overtime proved to be Yale’s Achilles’ heel, as the Bulldogs were outshot 5-0 by Stony Brook and committed three fouls — one of which led to the Seawolves’ tie-breaking goal.

“I think when you start getting tired at the end, you lose focus,” Macauley said, noting that the Bulldogs lost composure in the last few minutes of play. “You get wrapped up in [the game] and it’s easy to foul when you are working really hard and going for the ball. Then again, I think that’s the nature of overtime.”

Unfortunately for Yale, that loss of composure led to a free kick for Stony Brook in the 109th minute of play, and after a scramble in front of the net, the Seawolves came out on top.

“It was a foul in the last 30 seconds, and they crossed it into the goal and scored on a header,” Meredith said. “It was a good cross and it was a good header. It’s unfortunate that it happened in the last 30 seconds.”