Though little has changed for the squad that posted a 7–10 record last season, the Yale women’s field hockey team is attempting to improve on that record this year.

There has been little turnover for the Bulldogs, who return nine starters and are led by a deep and talented senior class, and the team is hoping that its dedication over the offseason, strong preseason and increased experience will build on last year’s progress.

The Yalies will certainly be a force to be reckoned with on offense. Ashley McCauley ’10, already fifth on Yale’s all-time goals list, will lead the way at forward, teaming with the powerful midfield combination of Katie Cantore ’10 — a two-time All-Ivy selection — and Dinah Landshut ’12, who combined for 21 assists last season.

The defense will be anchored by captain Julia Weiser ’10, who started every game for the Bulldogs in 2009. She will combine with Erin Carter ’12 and Marissa Waldemore ’10 to present an intimidating front to Eli opposition. In goal, Charlotte Goins ’10 and Katie Bolling ’11 have both earned All-Ivy recognition during their Yale careers, and should combine to make scoring a formidable challenge for the rest of the Ivy League.

“We’re going into Friday’s game against Sacred Heart confident and prepared,” Weiser said. “After our intense summer training program and a demanding preseason, I think we’re definitely ready to get out there and compete.”

While Yale will play a challenging schedule, including the likes of national powerhouse Northwestern and a full slate of Ivy League contests, it is clear that they are excited about their potential.

When asked for her thoughts on the upcoming season, Carter said simply, “It’s going to be a great one.”

When one considers the talent, experience and dedication her Bulldogs bring to the table, it may be likely.

The Elis will begin their 2009 campaign today at 2 p.m. when they take on Sacred Heart at Johnson Field.