Representatives of Mory’s gave a presentation in front of the New Haven Board of Zoning Appeals  last night to ask for permission to expand the club’s physical footprint.

The project was officially presented by Richard Wies of Gregg, Wies & Gardner Architects, said Mory’s Association Treasurer Melanie Ginter ’78 GRD ’81, who was present at the meeting along with several other board members, including Tony Fitzgerald ’66 and School of Management professor Douglas Rae.

“We’re very interested in getting these variances because we think this is really what we need Mory’s to do in order to go forward in a successful way,” Ginter said today.

In a telephone interview, Mory’s Board of Governors President Christopher Getman ’64 said that Mory’s needs variances to carry out a planned expansion of the club, which would include a bar in the back of the building and a banquet room on the second floor.

In addition to the bar, banquet room and basic renovations, such as plumbing and wiring improvements, the board also plans to add 30 seats to the club’s dining room as well as a terrace so that customers can eat outside when the weather permits, Getman said. Memorabilia from the club, such as the tables, oars and photographs of captains and teams, have been put into storage and will be returned to the club upon its reopening, Ginter added.

While the club has not raised the money for the desired changes yet, Getman said the permission to expand from the city will give the club more “leverage” with potential donors.

Last night’s presentation was the first step in obtaining the variances. Representatives of Mory’s will present to City Plan Commission on May 20 and will give a final presentation at the Board of Zoning Appeals on June 9.

(Photo: Charles Francis/Photography Editor)