Police used a stun gun to subdue an unruly man outside Toad’s Place shortly after 1 a.m. Sunday morning.

The incident was prompted by a fight in which a 22-year-old man began to throw punches at a bouncer outside the York Street dance club, according to an eyewitness, John Acheson ’11, who said he was walking by at the time. Other bouncers and police quickly joined in an attempt to hold the man back, and one officer used his Taser when the man could not be subdued, City Hall spokeswoman Jessica Mayorga said in an e-mail message Sunday.

A dozen New Haven Police Department officers responded to the fight, and more than 10 police cars swarmed York Street, eyewitnesses said. Upon being Tased, the assailant “instantly began to shake and then fall to the ground,” according to a student who described the melee on the condition he not be named.

Mayorga said the man was arrested for breach of the peace in the second degree and for interfering with the police. Witnesses said at least two other individuals were handcuffed at the scene, but Mayorga said she had no information about any other arrests.

Officials at Toad’s Place did not respond to telephone messages Sunday.

The NHPD began arming some officers with Tasers in July 2007. Between then and March 2008, when statistics were most recently available, police used the device in 26 incidents.