Yale’s heavyweight crews raced at Cornell this weekend for the Carnegie Cup, seeing mixed results in the varsity crews and a win for the freshmen.

“Last week we were switching lineups around and trying new things — I think that we began to take some steps in the right direction,” Captain Andrew Collard ’09 said. “We lost to Princeton earlier in the season, and it was good to come back and beat them here.”

Opening up the race with a win, the freshman eight — stroked by Thomas Dethlefs ’12 and coxed by Emma McBurney ’12 — finished ahead of Cornell and Princeton, 5:52.7 to 5:52.9 to 6:00.1, respectively. The second varsity of George Moran ’11 in stroke and Emily Flaxman ’09 as coxswain finished in third place, 6:00.1 to Princeton’s 5:48.3 and Cornell’s 5:47.8.

The varsity race for the Carnegie Cup resulted in a second-place finish, ahead of Princeton and behind Cornell. The varsity rowed a time of 5:53.6, losing to Cornell’s 5:47.7 by a margin of 5.9 seconds, and beating Princeton’s 5:56.9 by a margin of 3.3 seconds.

The third varsity wrapped up the morning with a second-place finish to Cornell with a time of 6:11.7, a loss of 7.7 seconds to Cornell’s 6:04.0, and just one-tenth of a second ahead of Princeton’s 6:11.8.

The Bulldogs now have two weeks of training before heading to Eastern Sprints in Worcester, Mass., on May 10.

“We still have a lot of work to do before Eastern Sprints,” Collard said. “Hopefully we will keep switching things around and find something that works, or make it work. It’s important for us to stay focused during reading week and finals, and improve upon our regular season results at Sprints.”

CLARK XUE