Between 9:30 p.m. Tuesday night and 1:30 a.m. Wednesday morning, there were three shootings across the Elm City, police confirmed Wednesday.

In the Newhallville neighborhood, a mother and son were both shot in the head multiple times but survived. In Fair Haven, a teenager was shot in the leg during a robbery, and a woman was found fatally shot. Police have already issued a wanted poster for the alleged perpetrator of the Newhallville double shooting, a convicted felon.

In the city’s second homicide of the year, a 20- to 30-year-old woman, who police have not yet been able to identify, was shot in her apartment on 73 Woolsey St. in Fair Haven. Police said she had been dead for approximately 12 hours before she was found. An hour later, at 10:30 p.m. in Fair Haven, a 19-year-old man was shot in a robbery.

The Newhallville shooting took place at around 1:30 a.m. at 82 Munson St. — one block away from Yale property and from 25 Science Park, a building that houses many labs and pharmaceutical company offices.

The 27-year-old son’s condition was listed as critical. But the mother, 52, was conscious enough to speak with police during the day.

Based on her statements, police said, Darryl Staton, 38, has been identified as a suspect. Staton was convicted of first-degree manslaughter in New Haven in 1988 at the age of 17. He was released from jail after serving eight years. Police said they are actively looking for Staton.

Though the precise motive is not yet known, police said the victims were targeted deliberately.

“We know that on Munson Street, the victims knew the attacker,” New Haven Assistant Police Chief Peter Reichard said at a press conference. “They were not random acts.”

The shooting and its proximity to Yale’s campus drew attention from two police forces. Three New Haven police cars were parked outside the residence, a Yale Police Department vehicle was also stationed on the corner, and four YPD officers stood at the entrance to 25 Science Park. A yellow Yale security car drove by periodically.

“Although this does not seem to pose a threat to the Yale community, we will have Yale Police and Security personnel visible and patrolling in the area,” Yale Police Chief James Perrotti assured all building employees in an e-mail Wednesday morning.

In a press conference, Mayor John DeStefano Jr. identified what he felt to be the underlying cause of the shootings: “No strategy to reduce violence in New Haven can be successful without engaging the prison release population,” he said.

That population of ex-convicts comprises about 100 felons who are released into the city each month, he said, a population that police suspect included perpetrators of at least two of the shootings.

Harrison Korn contributed reporting.