In a State of the School address to the Law School yesterday, Dean Harold Hongju Koh discussed the school’s plans in the wake of the economic downturn. He stated that the Law School aims to trim at least 5 percent from its operating budget by reducing spending on events, speakers and food.

On the bright side, Koh also announced that the budget crunch will not force the Law School to trim financial aid or to freeze faculty salaries or faculty hiring.

Mine eyes have seen the glory. Sam Bolen ’10 marched into “The Civil War and Reconstruction Era” lecture yesterday clad in military garb and singing “The Battle Hymn of the Republic.” Said guest lecturer Robert Blake Gilpin ’01 GRD ’09: “I would’ve sung it myself if I could.”

Eli Days, a college admissions mentoring program for New Haven high school juniors, kicks off its second year tomorrow. “If you see a sea of kelly green shirts, that’s them,” explained program organizer and YCC Treasurer Jon Wu ’11.

Feb Club’s party last night, initially called “Robots and Sluts,” had a last-minute name change. The new theme? Clementines. “Wear orange. Wear so much orange,” the invite read.

“Lëvinbräu” is the title of the fake beer label designed in honor of President Levin for Feb Club Emeritus, an alumni celebration of the senior-year tradition. John Boak ’70, the president of the Colorado Yale Association, created a number of Yale-themed labels, including “Brewla brewla!”

Alan Hruska ’55 LAW ’58 presented his new film, “Reunion,” to the New York Film Critics Series on Wednesday. Based on Hruska’s experiences in the society Elihu, “Reunion” is about a secret society class reunited 23 years after graduation.

The Yale Police Department is once again hosting a Citizen’s Police Academy, where interested adults can gain “an increased understanding … of police operations and responsibilities,” according to a news release. The class begins Tuesday, March 24.

Sen. Amy Klobuchar ’82 drew a laugh at the Washington Press Club Foundation’s dinner Wednesday night. Klobuchar, Democratic of Minnesota, noted that, “Typically a Republican and a Democrat speak at this; you could have saved … money by asking Joe Lieberman.”

This day in Yale history
1878 A faculty member refused to give a freshman his cane, which had been captured in the last Banger Rush. In this act, the faculty resolved to “virtually uphold the Sophomores in their customary bull-dozing and forbid to the freshmen the carrying of canes” until after Feb. 22.

Submit ideas to Cross Campus
crosscampus@yaledailynews.com