It took a while, but the men’s hockey team eventually found the net.

After dominating a scoreless first period, the Bulldogs (4-1, 2-1 ECAC) scored twice on the power-play in the second frame on their way to a comfortable 3-0 victory against Brown on Saturday at Ingalls Rink.

Center Mark Arcobello ’10, right winger Brian O’Neil ’12 and left winger Denny Kearney ’11 provided the offense for the home team. Arcobello is now tied for the team lead in goals with left winger Sean Backman ’10, with four goals.

Alec Richards ’09 made 17 shots in net for the Elis, with the majority of them coming in the second period.

Yale outshot the Bears (0-4-1, 0-2-1) 17-2 in the first period, but was unable to take the lead, due in large part to great play from Brown netminder Dan Rosen.

Already entering the second period with a one-man advantage due to a penalty from the end of the first frame, a tripping infraction on Brown’s Harry Zolnierczyk 31 seconds into the period gave Yale a 5-on-3. O’Neil gave the Elis their first lead about 30 seconds into the two-man advantage. Arcobello took a shot from the point that was saved by Rosen, but O’Neil was in the right position to poke home the rebound for his first collegiate goal.

The home team doubled their lead 5:15 into the second on another power play goal. Arcobello picked up a centering pass that had deflected off the stick of right winger Broc Little ’11 near the left circle and banged a backhanded shot off the post and into the net. This is Arcobello’s third goal in the last two games.

Despite the two goals for the Bulldogs, the second frame was the most even in terms of shots on goal. Although they were outshot 42-17 in total, the Bears had only one less shot on goal than Yale’s 11 in the period. After only needing to make two saves in the first, Richards made ten stops in the second period.

The third stanza proved to be significantly calmer than the first two. Each team was only penalized once, compared to the 17 combined infractions between the two teams during the first two periods.

The Elis once again dominated scoring chances with a 14-5 advantage on shots on goal but did not add their third goal until the final seconds. After Brown pulled their goalie in search of a goal, Kearney intercepted a pass from a Bear defenseman and wristed a shot into the empty net with 30 seconds left in the game.

The Bulldogs now sit in 6th place in ECAC standings, but they have only played three conference games, while some teams have played as many as six.

They welcome Alabama-Huntsville to Ingalls rink this weekend for two 7 p.m. contests.