Though Yale field hockey did not maintain the winning streak that they started last weekend, the Bulldogs broke even this weekend.

Yale (5-9. 1-3 Ivy) suffered a disappointing 3-2 loss against Penn (5-10, 3-2 Ivy) on Saturday, but turned their game around with a 3-0 victory over Fairfield (4-12) in northern Connecticut the next day.

The Bulldogs went into Saturday’s game coming off of victories against both Dartmouth and Hofstra the weekend before. They were confident that they could defeat Penn for their second Ivy League win — and for the first 37 minutes, it looked like the Elis could pull it off.

For most of the first half, the Bulldogs led 2-0 due to two goals from Ashley McCauley ‘10, but sloppy playing and a lack of cohesiveness let Penn even the score by the beginning of the second half.

“Somehow we let [our lead] slip away,” said head coach Pam Stuper.

A rebound shot past goalie Charlotte Goins ’10 with four minutes left in the game. The Elis were unable to get the ball back into Quaker territory, and the game ended in Penn’s favor, 3-2.

Stuper said she felt her team played well in the first 20 minutes, but the Bulldogs added that they were frustrated with their level of play towards the end. The Elis stopped generating attack and were unable to adjust as Penn stepped up their defense of key players. Stuper said that they game was not their best effort.

“We didn’t have pride in the second half,” captain Ali Rotondo ’09 said.

They traveled to Fairfield the next day, hoping for a better outcome. They got it with a 3-0 win against the Stags.

The Bulldogs started strong with two quick goals in the first half. Twenty minutes in, forward Dinah Landshut ’12 scored off of a penalty corner. Less than two minutes later, Julia Weiser ’10 put another shot in the net. A final goal by Mia Rosati ’12 in the beginning of the second half lifted the Bulldogs out of the Stags’ reach.

However, that is not to say that the Fairfield team was not a difficult match for the Elis.

“That was the best Fairfield team that I’ve seen in years,” Stuper said.

She added that she was proud of her team’s shut-out, and how they played “70 minutes of good hockey.”

Last weekend, Yale felt confident that they could win their last five games. They were disappointed this weekend, but Stuper said that they deserve to win the next three. The team hopes to make their last games count.

“We want revenge,” Rotondo said.

The Bulldogs stay at home to play Columbia and Quinnipac next weekend.