Stop and smell the tulips. To celebrate Jonathan Edwards College’s annual Tulip Day, JE students planted tulips and carved pumpkins in the college courtyard yesterday. At the event, JE Dean Kyle Farley and his 3-month-old daughter, Serena, were named tulip king and princess. As entertainment, the Men of JE sang Barbra Streisand’s song “You Don’t Bring Me Flowers” — in mad-lib form.

Procrastinators are citizens, too. Unfortunately, they cannot wait much longer to register to vote. Tomorrow is the last day to register in Connecticut. Any remaining stragglers will have to register in person at City Hall.

To show Mom and Dad how they’ve been spending their time, student performance organizations took over staging spaces from chapels to dining halls this weekend. Lines of eager parents and friends of performers made for standing-room-only shows. “I think our performance went well,” Daniel Spector ’11 of Mixed Company said. “Especially considering it was our first performance with our new taps. We’re performers, so it’s always nice to have lots of people to perform for.”

Just in time for Halloween, the original script of Orson Welles’ 1938 radio play based on H. G. Wells’ “War of the Worlds” — with a few minor edits — was broadcast on the radio show “Radio Magic” last night. Director John Yates ’10 and producer David Demres ’11 run the show. They’re already equipped with the voices — now the actors only need to find Martian outfits for a successful Halloween.

Laudate Dominum. Yesterday, St. Mary’s Church on Hillhouse Avenue held a two-hour Latin Mass for the first time in 40 years. Celebrated by the Saint Gregory Society and complete with Gregorian chants, the brief reversion to the traditional Latin liturgy observed the Feast of Christ the King.

Obama Works, again. This past Saturday, Obama Works held a street sweep in the Dixwell neighborhood and a food drive in Ridgefield, Conn. Scott Nelson ’09 said, “I was honestly disappointed with the student turnout — because of Parents’ Weekend conflicts, it was just two of us. Area supporters were much more enthusiastic; about two dozen locals showed up, including some excited teenagers.”

This day in Yale history

1974 Pierson College’s Entryway J withdrew from Pierson to establish Yale’s 13th residential college, which insurgents titled “Ellison College.” Then-Pierson Master Gaddis Smith ’54 GRD ’61 called the entryway’s earlier actions — which included orchestrating the disappearance of five fire extinguishers — “immature” and “irresponsible.” Entryway J proceeded to write up a declaration of independence and establish traditions such as the Ellison Cup, which would be awarded at the end of the year to the Ellison student with the lowest GPA.

Submit ideas to Cross Campus

crosscampus@yaledailynews.com