A wine-colored Cadillac pulled up to the curb in front of the High Street gate last night and a middle-aged couple asked directions — to get to Old Campus. Yale’s annual Parents’ Weekend has officially begun.

True gentlemen. The fraternity Sigma Alpha Epsilon required all of its pledges to attend the “Drunk Sex or Date Rape: Can You Tell the Difference?” event in LC 101 last night. SAE President Ross Feinstein ’10 stated, “I, along with all of our members, believe that it is not only important but also necessary that everyone in our organization is conscious of these issues.” Maybe this will make Late Night a safer place for everyone.

Hot coffee, hot date. People who are holding something warm are more likely to find other people emotionally warm, revealed a study conducted by Yale’s psychology department. With the weather getting colder, the best way to score a date may be to offer someone a hot beverage.

Infernal decor. The portraits of venerable Pierson masters are covered with posters of Frankenstein and his bride; spiderwebs cover the gates to the college; and witches hang upside down from the dining hall ceiling. Pierson College is ready for the Inferno.

Marital index plummets. Economics professor Ray Fair blames his wife, newly-appointed SOM Dean Sharon Oster, for the current mortgage crisis. Mortgage carving did not exist as a concept until the Case-Shiller housing price index was established, and Oster was the one to introduce Karl Case to Robert Shiller.

Cyprus tensions rekindled. A “Turkish-Greek Party” was advertised in a poster designed by Yale Friends of Turkey, while the Yale Hellenic Society put up a poster on the same board announcing the “Greek-Turkish Party.” A simple mistake, or an intractable conflict?

Apple-mania. Shiny new iMacs were installed yesterday in the Connecticut Hall computer cluster. If New Haven loses its bid for an Apple store, this updated cluster might be the next-best option.

It’s almost Movember! The American Prostate Cancer Foundation invites men to grow moustaches during the month of November. Family, friends and coworkers of the participants sponsor the “mo” for a good cause. Handlebar, Charlie Chaplin or Provost Salovey— the possibilities are endless!

This day in Yale history 1956 Eight freshmen living in Durfee Hall were suspended from dormitory residence for hurling water bombs at pedestrians on Elm Street. The offense was discovered by Assistant Freshman Dean Arleigh D. Richardson III upon the complaint of townspeople.

Submit ideas to Cross Campus

crosscampus@yaledailynews.com