After Hogwarts, could Hermione join the Muggles at Yale?

Magic came to Yale yesterday as campus was abuzz with excitement over the sighting of Emma Watson, the 18-year-old British starlet of Harry Potter fame, who received a private tour. One student said he spotted Watson eating in the Berkeley dining hall balcony with her “mum” and a Yale student. “People went nuts on campus, trying to touch her,” he said. In a brief conversation with Watson, perhaps better known as the character Hermione, the student said he learned the actress, who received straight A grades on her A-level exams, toured Harvard on Tuesday and Brown on Wednesday. Note to Emma: Yale is Hogwarts. Harvard is Azkaban.

Post-Modern Love. After an unexpected burst in attendance last week, the popular Friday night party Modern Love, held weekly in the basement of 73 Edgewood Ave., will not be on tonight. “We’re calling a venue amnesty,” organizer and DJ David Rudnick ’09 said as he called on residential college authorities to “let me use your pit!” He sends his apologies, but said the space could not accommodate the huge demand.

Following the storied tradition of the Wenzel at Alpha Delta Pizza, a new wrap hit the menu at Gourmet Heaven earlier this week. “Students love the new addition,” said Tasha Castillo, a Gourmet Heaven cashier. Inspired by Wossel Ayele ’11, the wrap contains sesame chicken, mozzarella, lettuce, sun–dried tomatoes and fried plantains.

Playing possum. A large, possibly rabid possum situated itself outside a Davenport entryway yesterday afternoon. An Office of Facilities employee kept students away until animal services arrived to remove the creature. “It was sort of cute,” Liz Woods ’09 said. “I found it regrettable that it was sick and dangerous.”

Religious revival. St. Thomas More, the Catholic center on campus, will reveal its newly renovated chapel on Saturday evening with a rededication Mass presided by Hartford Archbishop Henry Mansell. The ceremony, which comes after a year of construction, commemorates the 70th anniversary of the chapel’s original dedication.

The Yale ACLU will host a screening of “The Laramie Project” in Silliflicks Sunday evening, marking the 10th anniversary of the murder of Matthew Shepard, a gay University of Wyoming student who was beaten to death by two men in 1998. The film includes reenactments of the crime’s chronology, as well as interviews with Laramie, Wyo. residents.

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY

1940 In spite of a State Department warning to Americans in China, nine Yale staff members of the Yale-in-China program were told they could stay in the country by the Corporation. Air raid shelters were constructed on the campus, and staff members and their families were prepared to evacuate to Burma.

Submit ideas to Cross Campus

crosscampus@yaledailynews.com