Cat Dailey ’10 was looking to play volleyball for a strong academic institution with a cohesive, dedicated team.

The women’s volleyball team was looking for a powerful outside hitter with a passion for the game.

Both found what they were looking for.

Dailey, a transfer from the University of California at Berkeley, said she is eager to make an immediate impact on the women’s volleyball program. After helping the Golden Bears advance to the 2007 Final Four, Dailey decided to forgo spring-season volleyball to re-evaluate her options.

“The thought of leaving was scary and daunting,” Dailey said. “But I was burned out at the end of the season, and missing too much class to justify staying.”

She added: “Now, I want to get as much as possible out of Yale.”

The 6-foot-1 outside hitter had 31 kills, 21 service aces and 66 digs in 70 games last season with Cal.

“Cat is very athletic, understands the game and plays at a high level above the net,” said head coach Erin Appleman, who followed Dailey’s high-school career in Southern California. “I expect her to bring a lot of experience to this team.”

When Dailey first visited Yale in April, she wanted to spend as much time as possible with teammates to help in the transition.

“My recruiting trip was different from those during high school,” Dailey said. “I knew that I would spend a lot of time with the team, and I wanted to get to know the girls as best as possible.”

She said she has already developed strong bonds with her teammates and looks forward to the University’s full academic and athletic experience.

Dailey will make her debut on the court this weekend when the team hosts the Yale Invitational, where the Elis will face off against Boston College, Colgate and Hofstra.

“This team has a lot of natural leaders, and our goal is to win the Ivy Championship,” she said.

But for Dailey and the women’s volleyball team, their new combination is already a win-win.