Victoria Marshman ’09 was eliminated from the reality television show “America’s Next Top Model,” on Wednesday night’s episode.

The show, hosted by Tyra Banks, had cast Marshman as disinterested in modeling as a career and portrayed her as a nerd to magnify a personality clash with the other contestants, according to viewers.

Marshman, who said Wednesday night she remains bound by a confidentiality agreement with CW — the network that broadcasts the show — was the third contestant to be disqualified this season.

“They basically portrayed her as not really being interested in modeling and in the show in general, which is accurate,” said Katharine Kendrick ’09, who has roomed with Marshman for three years. “I think it was refreshing to a lot of viewers to see someone who’s not so serious and doesn’t have her heart set on modeling, but it also probably irritated girls across America who want to be Tyra Banks.”

On Wednesday’s episode, all the contestants were assigned to dress as plants; Marshman had to dress up as a cactus. Marshman traded barbs with one of the judges, who accused her of having a “prickly attitude.”

Kendrick said Marshman’s elimination was not surprising, given the show’s scrutiny of her attitude.

“The message was that models had to be charming, which means not talking back to your superiors,” Kendrick said.

Several viewers at Yale, who said they were rooting for Marshman, were not surprised. But they were still sorry to see her go, they said.

“Zelda [Roland ’08] and I held hands and almost cried,” Adam Gardner ’09 said. “It felt like we were getting kicked off.”

Gardner, who has followed the show loyally, said he would continue to watch despite his friend’s elimination. But Kendrick said Marshman’s elimination “took out nine-tenths of the appeal of watching the show.”

Kendrick said a part of her was comforted to see her friend out of the spotlight.

“I’m somewhat relieved for her own sake because the filming was such a marathon,” she said.

After auditioning in Boston last winter, Marshman found out that she made the final cut last May.