New Haven Police Department Lt. William “Billy” White and three New Haven bail bondsmen were indicted by a federal grand jury Wednesday, the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Connecticut announced yesterday.

According to the first of the two indictments, White was charged with two counts of theft of government funds, relating to two incidents in which he stole money planted by the Federal Bureau of Investigation as part of an undercover investigation begun last year. As part of the second indictment, White and the three bail bondsmen — Robert Jacobs, Paul Jacobs and Philip Jacobs — were each charged with conspiracy to commit theft/bribery concerning programs receiving federal funds.

Robert Jacobs was also charged with three counts — and the other three men each with one count — of theft/bribery concerning programs receiving federal funds. All of the men were charged with three counts of mail fraud/theft of honest services.

Maximum sentences for each of the charges vary from five to 20 years imprisonment with fines of up to $250,000.

White was the head of the Narcotics Unit of the NHPD at the time of the FBI investigation against him and his subsequent arrest. His most notorious charge involves the highly publicized “estupido” incident, when White stole $27,500 in planted cash from a car he was told belonged to a drug dealer, despite the risk this would pose for a supposed informant. White wrote “estupido” on the bags as a cover-up.

Since his March 13 arrest, White has been embroiled in a controversy over whether he was officially retired before the Board of Police Commissioners voted to terminate him. The pension board later decided that because White had submitted his forms before the termination, he was already retired, provoking an uproar from city officials, including Mayor John DeStefano. Because White retired rather than being fired, he will receive a $91,000 annual pension.

According to a statement issued by the U.S. Attorney’s Office, the FBI and Connecticut State Police are continuing the investigation. The city of New Haven has also hired the Police Executive Research Forum to conduct its own evaluation of the department, though PERF has yet to begin its work.

Former NHPD Detective Justen Kasperzyk was charged with the misdemeanor offense of stealing less than $1,000 in federal funds after the FBI’s March raid, but he was not indicted yesterday.