The victor of the House race in Connecticut’s 2nd District — which pitted Republican incumbent Bob Simmons against Democratic challenger Joe Courtney — will be decided in a recount, representatives from the Connecticut Secretary of State Susan Bysiewicz’s office said Wednesday.

Although Courtney declared victory over Simmons early Wednesday morning — with 100 percent of precincts reporting, Courtney holds a 167-vote lead over Simmons — the slim margin of victory will require an recount, which must be completed by Nov. 15, spokesman Dan Tapper said.

“In any election where the plurality of the vote is within one-half of 1 percent, a recount is automatically triggered in Connecticut,” Tapper said.

According to vote tallies from Bysiewicz’s office, Courtney led Simmons 121,313 to 121,146. In this case, the margin of victory to trigger an automatic recount would be about 1,212 votes.

In the state’s other four congressional races, Democratic incumbent Rep. John Larson held the state’s 1st District, Rep. Rosa DeLauro, who represents New Haven, held the 3rd District by a substantial margin, Republican incumbent Chris Shays narrowly defeated Democrat Diane Farrell in the 4th Congressional District, and Democrat Chris Murphy defeated 12-term Republican incumbent Nancy Johnson in the 5th District.

Connecticut’s second district, represented by Simmons since 2001, covers the eastern half of the state to the Rhode Island border, including the cities of New London and Norwich.