Gamebreaker

One more run didn’t make a difference in the final outcome, but shortstop Dan Soltman’s ’08 RBI triple meant far more than just another tick on the scoreboard.

Soltman didn’t start at shortstop. A freshman walk-on last year, the utility infielder saw only five games in 2005. But even with a lack of experience on Yale Field, Soltman rose to the occasion in Sunday’s second game of the doubleheader against Cornell.

But Soltman’s saga began in the afternoon’s first game. Starting shortstop Justin Ankney ’06 had been hit by a pitch in the fifth inning, and he injured his shoulder sliding into first to avoid a pickoff. The dislocation brought in Soltman at shortstop for the remainder of the doubleheader.

Soltman grounded out and was walked in his first two at-bats, but the third was the charm. Catcher Eric Rasmussen ’06 had made it to second on a double in the seventh inning, driving in a run of his own to bring the score to 4-2 — in Cornell’s favor. Soltman stepped up to bat and smashed an RBI triple deep to left field. Rasmussen scored on the hit, and Soltman would, too, off of a Josh Cox ’08 single, tying the game at 4-4.

It took three more innings for another run to come in, giving Yale the win with a score of 5-4. Soltman singled on his at-bat and only made it to second before Cornell returned to the plate, but for at least one moment, the walk-on had his moment of glory.

Sound Bite

“That save in particular was very acrobatic, almost hockey-goalie-like, against a guy at the top of the crease. For a team trying to battle back, that’s just a dagger.”

— Midfielder Tyler Casertano ’08 on a save goaltender George Carafides ’08 made with his chest alone

Standouts

Tyler Casertano ’08

Midfielder, Men’s Lacrosse

Casertano fought through a driving rainstorm Saturday to rack up six assists, the best single-game effort of his career, in a 14-8 victory over Brown. He also picked up a goal, giving him a total of seven points on the day. Casertano averages 2.40 assists per game, good for second in the league for that stat.

Kimberley So ’09

Gymnastics

So was one of four Elis in Saturday’s NCAA Women’s Gymnastics Northeast Regional Championships, but was the only one to crack the top 10. She placed 10th in the all-around with a score of 38.375, one of her highest of the year. The highlight of So’s impressive performance was a score of 9.650 on the balance beam.

Alec Smith ’06

Starting Pitcher, Baseball

The Yale captain led the Bulldogs to a 7-0 win over Cornell, holding the Big Red to three hits. The shutout netted Smith eight strikeouts, the most of the season for the veteran hurler. Smith’s performance this season has not been up to some expectations, making last weekend’s shutout all the more important.

Erin Snyder

Princeton softball

Tigers right-hander Erin Snyder turned in a perfect 16-0 game against the Bulldogs Sunday, the fourth of her career and her fifth no-hitter. If that weren’t enough for one weekend, the senior pulled in a two-hitter the next day against Brown, striking out 19 hitters, the most of her career. She also batted 5-for-11 this weekend.

Mikhail Bekker

Penn men’s tennis

Bekker had a busy weekend. The junior swept Milosz Gudzowski ’06 at No. 2 as part of Penn’s victory over the Elis Friday. He then secured the win against Brown and the continuation of the team’s longest winning streak ever, now at 12, with the last match of a long day, when he beat Bears freshman Basu Ratnam, 7-6 (10), 9-6, 6-2.