Stamford Mayor Dan Malloy raised more money this term than his competitor for the Democratic gubernatorial nomination, New Haven Mayor John DeStefano Jr., according to campaign finance reports filed by each campaign on Monday.

The DeStefano campaign raised $415,000 in the first quarter of 2006 for a total of $3,278,000 raised by his campaign. Malloy raised $570,000 during the past quarter, for a total of $2,770,000 raised. DeStefano’s campaign received contributions from 674 first-time donors this quarter, while Malloy’s campaign received from 646 first-time donors.

DeStefano, in raising over $3 million total, has raised more money than any other Democratic candidate for governor. But this is the third consecutive quarter in which the Malloy campaign has out-raised the DeStefano campaign.

Still, DeStefano campaign spokesman Derek Slap said the DeStefano campaign is ahead in terms of fundraising.

“The point is, we’re going to have more money to spend on the primaries,” Slap said. “It doesn’t matter when you raise the money, it matters that you have the money to spend.”

Slap said the campaign has also expanded the number of contributors from Litchfield and Middlesex counties, although approximately 40 percent of the campaign’s contributors were from New Haven County.