Gabe Davis

College/Year: Morse ’07

Hometown: Cincinnati, Ohio

Major: Political Science

As vice president, Gabe Davis ’07 wants to think big.

“I don’t think the YCC should be a prom committee,” Davis said. “I think we need to focus on big issues.”

Some of the major issues Davis would like to highlight are financial aid reform, campus security and alcohol policies.

“The Bulldog Days and tailgate restrictions [on alcohol] are unnecessary,” he said.

Davis wants the YCC to make students’ demands known to the administration, and then apply the necessary pressure to effect change.

Serving on the Undergraduate Organization Funding Committee and as treasurer of the Black Student Alliance, Davis is also confident of his organizational abilities.

Steven Engler

College/Year: Saybrook ’07

Hometown: Hastings-on-Hudson, N.Y.

Major: History

By focusing on five main issues, Steven Engler ’07 intends to improve communication between the YCC and campus organizations, publicize YCC projects more effectively, and advocate a more prominent role for the YCC within the New Haven community.

Engler said he will push for sustainable energy and recycling, strengthening ties with New Haven, improving resources for campus organizations, creating a student cabinet to advise the YCC and improving communication through town hall-style meetings.

“These are specific, relevant changes we can make next year,” Engler said. “Let’s make it a year of progress.”

As the current YCC representative for Saybrook, Engler has worked to provide soap in student bathrooms and to make Yale’s policies more environmentally friendly.

Govind Rangrass

College/Year: Davenport ’08

Hometown: Kalamazoo, Mich.

Major: Biology and History of Science, History of Medicine

Govind Rangrass ’08 has served on the YCC for the past four semesters, during which time he has introduced resolutions to improve, among other things, the online course evaluation system and access to certain health services.

“I want to oversee the implementation of the resolutions I have passed [and] work with the Women’s Center to obtain emergency contraception,” he said.

Rangrass said he is also concerned about campus security, which he hopes to improve by installing more crosswalk symbols and permanently increasing campus patrols.

He also intends to improve conditions for minority and international students by making the Minority Advisory Committee more representative of minorities on campus and working with the Office of International Students and Scholars to facilitate the purchase of cellular phone plans for international students.

— Candidate profiles compiled by Carrie Lynn and Cullen Macbeth.