While it is clear that the field hockey team can hold the best teams in the country to low numbers on the scoreboard, not putting up goals of their own threatens to keep the Elis’ numbers low in the win column.

After a 3-2 overtime win over the University of Rhode Island (5-5) on Saturday, the Bulldogs (3-7, 0-2 Ivy) fell to No. 20 Boston University (7-3), 1-0, at Johnson Field on Sunday. After just 8:41 minutes of play against the Terriers, BU scored on a penalty corner, giving the Terriers a lead that the Bulldogs were never able to erase, despite consistent pressure from the Eli offense. The Bulldogs outshot BU, 13-12.

“[Saturday] we came out really strong, we dominated the whole game, and unfortunately we weren’t able to finish,” midfielder Ali Rotondo ’09 said.

Although the Bulldogs failed to notch any goals, head coach Pam Stuper was more than satisfied with the team’s performance.

“I think we were that much more fit than BU,” Stuper said. “I don’t think they were as quick to the ball.”

The Bulldogs stumbled out of the gate, getting off only four shots and taking one penalty corner. But there was distinct improvement in the second half. The Elis outshot the Terriers nine to three and took six penalty corners to the Terriers’ one, statistics that also show a tighter Bulldog defense.

Although the Elis picked up the offensive slack, they could not find the net.

“It’s just really disappointing that how hard we worked didn’t show through in the score,” captain Marly Gillece ’06 said.

Despite the loss, team members said they were proud of not giving up.

“You just can’t let up on a top twenty team,” Gillece said. “If you give up for a second and go easy on them, they’ll just score a goal.”

In earlier action Saturday afternoon, the Bulldogs outlasted Rhode Island in their first overtime victory of the season, 3-2 (OT).

The Elis got on the board early on, with a goal by Grace Morris ’06 just over three minutes into the game. The Rams answered back at 13:14 with an unassisted goal.

Less than three minutes later, forward Cat Lindroth ’08 — in her first day back after suffering a broken thumb — put the Bulldogs back ahead. Heading into halftime, the Elis led, 2-1.

Despite a concerted offensive effort, the Bulldogs were unable to extend the lead. The Rams tied up the match with 21:37 remaining, and the Yale offense was not able to score again, despite 24 second-half shots.

The Elis dominated URI throughout the match, outshooting the Rams 39 to eight and taking 10 penalty corners to Rhode Island’s five. The Bulldogs have had trouble scoring throughout the season — Saturday’s win was only the second game of the season in which the Elis scored two goals or more.

After almost 20 scoreless minutes, the game went into overtime, but it didn’t take long for Yale to put it away. Just 10 seconds into the extra frame, midfielder Lindsay Collins ’07 scored the winning goal.

Although the game ended as a victory for Yale, going into overtime may not have been necessary.

“We didn’t play as well as I would have liked, but we certainly dominated both circle ends,” Stuper said. “I think we could have won pretty easily in regulation.”

Goalkeeper Elizabeth Friedlander ’07 came away with three saves, and back Beth Raveche ’08 contributed a defensive save. Yale’s offense was led by Grace Morris ’06, who took nine shots.