Gregory Korb ’08 pleaded not guilty to charges of rape Tuesday in New Haven Superior Court.

At the hearing — which took approximately one minute — the Calhoun College sophomore simply said, “Not guilty,” when asked for his plea by Judge Richard A. Damiani. Korb and his lawyer, William F. Dow III ’63, then asked that Korb be allowed to reappear in court for another hearing on Oct. 11, a request Damiani granted.

Korb, who smiled and appeared calm, was accompanied at the hearing by his mother.

Korb was arrested by Yale Police on Aug. 28 and charged with sexual assault in the first degree as well as assault in the second degree and unlawful restraint in the first degree, University Police Lt. Michael Patten told the News on Aug. 30. Following the arrest, he was released on a $50,000 bond.

Sexual assault in the first degree involves the offender coercing another person into sexual intercourse with the use of either physical force or verbal threats, according to the Connecticut state statutes on sex crimes. If convicted of sexual assault, Korb could spend up to 10 years and no less than two years in prison.

No information regarding the victim, including whether the complainant was a Yale student or where the crime occurred, has been released by police. Dow declined to provide more information on the case or Korb’s defense this week.

University officials have declined to comment on the details of the case, but have offered information on the general process of responding to cases of sexual assault. Patten said the YPD responds to approximately one case of sexual assault a year. In 2003, the last year for which campus crime statistics are available, the department reported five cases of forcible sex offenses at Yale. Forcible sex offenses include rape and other crimes such as forcible fondling.