Richter takes position as volunteer assistant coach for men’s hockey

Mike Richter, the former New York Rangers goalie and Olympic silver medalist, will join the coaching staff of the Yale men’s hockey team on a voluntary basis this season.

Richter, who is currently enrolled at Yale as a student, began playing hockey during his early years in Flourtown, Penn. After being drafted in the second round of the 1985 National Hockey League Entry Draft by the Rangers, Richter went on to become the team’s most decorated netminder, setting team records in wins (301) and wins in a season (42). Perhaps most importantly, Richter was between the pipes when the Rangers won their first Stanley Cup in more than 50 years in 1994.

Yale head coach Tim Taylor believes that Richter will bring more than just the valuable knowledge of having played in the NHL for 13 years.

“He’ll be a great asset to the program, not just because he has a big name in hockey, but more because he’s a great guy and this is something he’s really looking forward to doing,” Taylor said. “[Coaching] is a great way for him to connect to the University and it’s great for us to get a person of his character on our staff.”

With the team’s recent volatility at goalkeeper, the addition of the former NHL All-Star Game MVP to the coaching staff adds an expert opinion on where the team should head.

“He’s coming into this knowing he’ll be a fresh voice and pair of eyes in evaluations,” Taylor said. “I think he’s going to be able to start from scratch, in terms of evaluations of goaltenders. Hopefully he’ll allow us to make the right choices and select a starter.”

If all goes well this season, will Richter be back on the staff next year?

“Depends on what Mike wants to do,” Taylor said. “Maybe if he stays in the area, but that’s only speculative on my part.”