Sixteen is sweet, but 15 was plenty for the baseball team.

The Elis (18-13, 6-6 Ivy) scored fifteen runs over the course of a doubleheader sweep of Fairfield (7-25) at Yale Field yesterday, winning the first game 9-6 and the second game 6-1.

“It was total team effort,” captain C. J. Orrico ’05 said. “We hit the ball well, played good defense, and got solid pitching, especially in the second game. After last weekend, it’s good to get that winning feeling again.”

Yesterday’s wins came on the heels of a disappointing series that saw the Elis drop three of four games to Harvard in Cambridge last weekend.

Third baseman Matt Stone ’06 rebounded from the letdown with five hits and four runs during yesterday’s twin bill, including a solo home run in the bottom of the third. Stone said he did not feel any different yesterday, but he happily accepted his impressive results.

“I didn’t feel particularly locked in today,” Stone said. “I actually made a few adjustments with my swing and it seems like they worked. I was really disappointed with my performance at Harvard, so it felt good to get back on track.”

In Wednesday’s first game, the Bulldogs fought back from a 5-0 deficit in the top of the second by scoring six runs in the next two innings to take the lead. Yale added two more in the fourth and one in the sixth. The Stags added one more run in the last inning on a double to left field, but Brian Irving ’08 fanned Fairfield leadoff hitter Mark Geanuleas to end the game.

Mike Elias ’06 pitched three and two thirds scoreless innings in relief of starter Chris Wietlispach ’08, and Matt Fealey ’06 pitched a scoreless inning before Irving came in.

“I think we played well even though they swung the bats well,” Fealey said. “Everything sort of clicked for us, and it shows that when we play the way we’re capable of playing, we can play with everybody.”

In the second game, the Bulldog hurlers were even sharper, allowing only a single run in the seven-inning contest. Starting pitcher Alex Christ ’08 threw three strong innings, giving up one run on four hits. Steve Gilman ’08, Adam Barrick ’06, and Colin Ward-Henninger ’05 combined for four scoreless innings of relief. Josh Zabar ’06 was the hero at the plate, smashing three hits and two RBI in the nightcap.

The Elis face their next challenge against Dartmouth this weekend. The Big Green rolls into town for a four-game series starting with a noon doubleheader this Saturday at Yale Field. Yale stands tied with Dartmouth for third place in the Red Rolfe division of the Ivies, four games back from first-place Harvard.

The Bulldogs hope that Wednesday’s sweep will carry them towards more success this weekend.

“It was nice to get these two wins,” Fealey said. “Now we’ve got some solid momentum going into the weekend.”