Christian Jensen ’06, a winger on the men’s hockey team, already has a busy schedule. The diminutive sniper doubles as a midfielder on the lacrosse team and moonlights as vice president of both the Yale Entrepreneurial Society and the Alpha Delta Phi fraternity.

Jensen picked up another commitment Monday, as he was named captain of the 2005-06 hockey squad.

“It’s an honor to have been elected, especially with the type of senior class we have,” Jensen said at a banquet for the hockey team Monday evening at the Yale Golf Course. “Any one of us would do a great job. Having such a great group to be in my class will certainly make my job easier.”

No matter how difficult his job is, Jensen is sure to lead by example. The junior is Yale’s active career leader in points with 75 (32 goals). He shared the team lead in points with classmate Joe Zappala ’06 in 2003-04 and finished second in 2004-05, garnering second-team all-Ivy honors in the process.

Nick Shalek ’05, who captained this year’s team through a tumultuous season in which Yale posted a 5-25-2 record, said he believed that the players have selected the right man to turn the team’s fortunes around.

“I’ve known him for a real long time,” said Shalek, who played with Jensen on the Connecticut Yankees youth travel team. “In terms of character and looking out for the other guys on the team, there’s no one like him. He’s obviously a great player, too, and the other guys in the class have a great deal respect for him.”

Still, Jensen said that winning the captaincy means little to him until the Bulldogs make tangible progress.

“I’m not going to feel too happy about it until we prove ourselves next year,” he said. “I’m happy to embrace the job and do everything I can to make sure that our team has a great year.”