Six weeks after taking their final exams in the fall semester course Mechanical Engineering 280, “Strength and Deformation of Mechanical Elements,” students received their grades online Monday.

Yale’s Registrar’s Office had not received grade sheets from mechanical engineering professor David Wu as of Friday, Registrar Jill Carlton said. Several students in the class attempted to reach Wu via e-mail this month to inquire about the delay in grading but said they did not receive responses from Wu. It is still unclear whether the delay was due to an administrative error or Wu’s failure to submit student grade sheets to the Registrar’s Office on time.

James Salzano ’06 said his grade was online when he logged into the Student Information Services Web site at 11 a.m. Monday, immediately after the News first reported on the grade delay. Some of Salzano’s classmates had “joyous” reactions Monday when they received their grades, he said.

“It’s just good to be done with it,” Salzano said. “It’s been six weeks, so it’s good to be able to move on now.”

The deadline for Yale College professors to submit grades for fall semester courses was Jan. 3, in accordance with University policy requiring that professors hand-deliver grades to the Registrar’s Office by the first weekday of the new year. Although the deadline may pose problems for some professors who are not on campus over the winter break, most submit their grades within a few days of the deadline, Carlton said.