Connecticut Gov. Jodi Rell will appoint University Chaplain Frederick Streets to join the State Judicial Selection Commission next year.

Pending an official announcement from Rell, Streets, will join 12 other members on the selection commission. As a member of the commission, Streets will review candidates for state judgeships and make recommendations to the governor.

“The State will be fortunate to have Rev. Streets serving Connecticut in this capacity, and [Rell] was pleased to make this appointment,” Adam Liegeot ’94, a spokesman for the governor, said.

The Judicial Selection Commission is comprised of six attorneys and six non-attorneys. The governor appoints six members, one from each congressional district. The other appointments are made by the state Senate president, state House speaker and the majority and minority leaders of both parties.

Streets said he is eager to forge a relationship with the greater Connecticut community.

“It’s wonderful, I look forward to the opportunity to serve,” Streets said. “It’s a great way that the University and New Haven can work with the state to form a three-way partnership.”

Members are appointed for terms of three years, but they are unable to serve for consecutive terms. The appointments are staggered, but Streets will be joined by some other new members.

Streets has participated in many local and national initiatives, including local community boards and the National Leadership Network. Streets has also served for nine years on the New Haven Board of Police Commissioners and is currently completing his third term, the maximum anyone can serve consecutively.

Liegeot said that ever since Rell took office in July, she has sought to appoint those who have shown a deep and abiding respect for the law and a sincere compassion for people.

“[Streets’s] extensive experience in policy matters and public service will allow him to make valuable contributions in assuring the continued high quality of our Connecticut judges,” Liegeot said.

Ward 28 Alderwoman Babz Rawls-Ivy, who served as a police commissioner with Streets during a term which ended in 2003, said that she found Streets to be both personable and charismatic while serving on the board.

“I enjoyed working with him. I think he brought a great deal of humanity to the role of police commissioner,” she said. “I just liked him a lot. He was fun to work with.”

As a member of the board of police commissioners, Streets helped establish policy for the board, and made recommendations on the hiring and firing of officers.

“He is the kind of man that you really could admire and respect, and could really believe he always had your best interest at heart,” Rawls-Ivy said.

Streets said he will be introduced to all the members of the commission sometime next month and will officially begin working with them next year.