The Yale women’s basketball team named Morgan Richards ’05 its new captain for the 2004-2005 season. The decision was announced following a team vote held March 29.

Richards demonstrated great versatility as a guard/forward for the 2003-2004 season, finishing second on the team in assists (2.1 per game), rebounds (4.3 per game) and steals (1.2 per game). Her teammates said her intensity and openness made her a good candidate for the position.

“Morgan is very hardworking but also understanding,” center Erica Davis ’07 said. “She’s very good at finding solutions and approaching problems from a new angle.”

Richards sat out most of her freshman season, but returned for a solid sophomore season that earned her Yale’s most improved player award. Leading the Bulldogs in minutes in 2002-2003, the Seattle, Wash. native has played with reliable stamina since her return.

“[Morgan] has great leadership,” forward Lindsay Page ’05 said. “Her decision-making on the court in intense situations will be very strong for us.”

Richards’ leadership and experience will be especially important next winter as the Elis say goodbye to six seniors from this season’s 8-19, 5-9 Ivy squad. After losing their first seven Ivy League games, the Bulldogs won five of their last seven to finish sixth in the Ancient Eight.

“Next year will be different from our last year, but the eight returners learned a lot and won’t forget any of the lessons we’ve learned — both good and bad,” Page said.

— Jeff Friedman