The men’s basketball team has elected point guard Alex Gamboa ’05 captain of the 2004-05 season. The announcement came Wednesday night at the team’s annual banquet.

Gamboa will lead a young Bulldog squad as it looks to bounce back from a disappointing 12-15 season and try for its second Ivy League championship in four years.

“It’s a real prestigious honor, especially because it came from my teammates,” Gamboa said.

Gamboa enters his senior year next winter ninth all-time at Yale in three-pointers and 10th in assists. In 2003-04, he led the Bulldogs in three-pointers (46) and assists (103) and was third on the team in scoring with nine points per game.

Under the tutelage of head coach James Jones, Gamboa has been integral in the rebuilding of the men’s basketball’s program. The 2001-2002 Ivy League Rookie of the Year, he led the Bulldogs to their first conference title in 40 years.

Guard Edwin Draughan ’05, who has played beside Gamboa in the backcourt for the past three years, said Gamboa is a perfect fit for captain.

“Being a point guard, that’s just a natural leadership position,” guard Draughan said. “He’s real vocal. He’s very emotional and he’s very smart on and off the court. He’s just got good leadership qualities.”

–Josh Lotstein