For attacker Seth Goldberg ’05, offensive success comes as easy as one-two-three. So far this season, he has one game-winning goal, two hat-tricks and three team-leading scoring efforts.

Goldberg has been instrumental to the Bulldogs’ early success, netting a team-leading 15 goals in just five contests. For first-year head coach Andy Shay, Goldberg’s scoring knack has meant more than just goals and wins.

“[Goldberg’s] strong advocate for what we’re trying to do out there,” Shay said. “He trusts the coaches and that helps a great deal. His success gives [the coaching staff] validity.”

A consistent starter in the attacking unit that includes Daniel Brillman ’06, Colin Neville ’06 and Christopher Kempner ’07, Goldberg has found his niche. Of the three occasions in which he has led the team in scoring, a stunning six-goal performance against Penn March 20 stands out. Goldberg’s offensive firepower in the victory over the Quakers, which also included an assist, earned him Ivy League Player of the Week honors. For the junior attackman, the new style of team-oriented offense implemented by Shay has benefited his style of play.

“[The system] allows for easy shots when we can run it quickly,” said Goldberg. “That has helped my game.”

Shay’s formation begins with the three offensive midfielders — usually Ned Britt ’04, Scott Kenworthy ’04 and Ryan Capilupi ’04. Goldberg attributed his successes to the unified attack between the six offensive players.

“I play best when all six guys are working together,” Goldberg said. “That’s really important for us to be successful as a team.”

Illustrative of the success resulting from cohesive offense was the most memorable of Goldberg’s myriad goals this season — the game-winner against Butler March 10. With just over a minute to go, and the score knotted at 8-8, the Eli offense carried out a play drawn up in the time-out by Shay. With ten seconds remaining, Goldberg’s shot found the upper corner from about ten yards out, clinching the victory.

“Seth is a talented player with a great lacrosse mind,” said Brillman, who set up this and other Goldberg goals this season. “He knows where to be at the right time.”

Against Cornell yesterday, Goldberg maintained his pace, chalking up a hat-trick in the second half. Despite his efforts, the Elis fell 10-6, as the rest of the team failed to execute around the crease.

“I don’t think we executed nearly the way we were supposed to, the way we had talked about all week, the way we did against Penn,” Goldberg said. “We had a lot of unforced turnovers. We need to possess the ball more.”

Without a doubt, the new team-oriented offensive mentality will be instrumental to the Bulldogs getting back on the winning track, but Goldberg’s consistency up top will be depended on.

“He’s a good player and he’s just really capitalizing on his opportunities,” Shay said.