Yesterday, Dartmouth men’s basketball head coach David Faucher declared that he plans to resign from his current post. Faucher’s resignation will become effective at the conclusion of the 2003-2004 season, his 13th season at the head of the Big Green.

“Dave [Faucher]’s passion for the game, his dedication and loyalty to Dartmouth, and the sensitive and caring way he deals with his players will be missed,” Dartmouth Director of Athletics Josie Harper said. “Dave has made many contributions to Dartmouth College and to athletics during his tenure.”

Several Dartmouth players were contacted, but none were available to comment.

In addition to being the leader of the Big Green, Faucher is also the Ivy League’s representative to National Association of Basketball Coaches.

Over the past few years, Faucher has had difficulties coming up with winning seasons for Dartmouth. So far this season, the Big Green is last in the Ancient Eight with a 3-19, 1-7 Ivy record. In the four seasons prior to the current one, Faucher amassed a combined record of 34-74.

“[Faucher] had some tremendous years at Dartmouth,” Yale head coach James Jones said. “But the last few years, the team has fallen on bad times. The fact that other teams in the conference are doing well has something to do with it, but I can’t be sure [if it’s been a coaching issue].”

Faucher began his career with the Big Green in 1984 as an assistant coach before taking the team under his own wing in 1991. Since then, Faucher has tallied up a total of 136 career wins, more than any other Dartmouth coach has in the 34 years prior to Faucher’s arrival.

Though the Big Green’s record of late has been less than stellar, Faucher led the Dartmouth to several impressive finishes in the mid-1990s. During the 1996-97 season, Faucher guided his squad to an 18-8 overall record, the most wins since 1987-88. The Big Green’s 10-4 Ivy record was good for the runner-up position in the league that season. Two seasons prior, the Big Green won eight of its last 10 games to conclude the season tied for second place in the Ivies with a 10-4 league record. Dartmouth has never won the Ivy title under Faucher’s watch.

Faucher began his coaching career in collegiate men’s basketball in 1972 as an assistant at his alma mater, the University of New Hampshire. Before arriving in Hanover, Faucher was an assistant coach at Merrimack, one of the top-ranked Division II teams in New England.

In October 2001, he was inducted into the Somersworth Athletic Hall of Fame.

— Marcus McLin