New Haven Mayor John DeStefano Jr. captured 64 percent of the city’s vote and 29 of its 30 aldermanic wards in Tuesday’s Democratic primary against Sherri Killins, according to final election results.

The final tallies also showed 14 of the 17 aldermanic candidates endorsed by the mayor winning the Democratic nomination, with seven incumbents losing their bid to reappear on November’s general election ballot. The only late surprises came in Ward 30, where Killins outpolled the mayor and Barbara Gorham-Walker defeated Alderman Nathan Joyner — a DeStefano ally — by seven votes.

DeStefano is now all but assured of winning a sixth term as mayor in the November general election, as he is not being opposed by any major party candidates.

Six Democrats will face opponents in November as they seek positions on the Board of Aldermen. Democrats are running for the four aldermanic seats currently held by other parties — two Republican and two Green — while Ward 19 Alderwoman Alfreda Edwards is being opposed by former Green Party congressional nominee Charles Pillsbury ’72. Yale-dominated Ward 1 will also see an aldermanic contest, as incumbent Ben Healey ’04 runs against independent Daniel Kruger ’04.

–Jacob Leibenluft