If the softball team had already established an affinity for tight ballgames, it did nothing to damage that reputation Wednesday.

The Bulldogs (8-16) swept St. John’s (14-18) yesterday on two-run home runs in their final at-bat in each game. Beth Pavlicek ’06 hit a shot in the bottom of the sixth inning of the first game for the tying and go-ahead runs in a 3-2 victory. In the finale, Kristy Kwiatkowski ’05 one-upped Pavlicek’s shot by going deep with a man on in the bottom of the seventh to give the Bulldogs a thrilling 2-1 victory.

“As of late, I’ve been struggling offensively, and I wanted to come up big for the team knowing how big the wins are and heading into the Ivies,” Kwiatkowski said. “I just wanted to get the first one in, and get the RBI but stepping in and getting an awesome fat pitch was incredible. Struggling offensively was starting to eat at me. Hopefully this will help me get untracked.”

In the opener, captain Jesseka Bartholomew ’03 started the rally in the sixth by belting a two-run triple before Pavlicek, serving as the designated hitter and hitting cleanup, drove her home. Ashley Linnenbank ’06 pitched a complete game and allowed only one earned run to boost her record to 2-3. Laura Beckert ’03 went 2-2 in the leadoff slot.

But the high drama was only beginning. In the second game, Pavlicek stepped onto the mound and lived up to her billing as the reigning Ivy League Rookie of the Week by allowing only two hits in her seven innings of work. However, she was still on her way to a loss when Kwiatkowski hit the walk-off home run to give the Elis their second comeback win of the day.

The Bulldogs don’t have long to celebrate their wins, however, as Central Connecticut State (5-11) arrives today to make up games that were postponed March 5.

“This was huge to come away with two one-run wins,” Kwiatkowski said. “We can compete with anyone, including teams from the Big East, and it’s nice to go into tomorrow with momentum.”