In their first games of the season, the Ivy League’s nationally ranked teams lost in non-league play. Princeton, ranked second in the national preseason poll, fell to No. 3 Johns Hopkins in a close game. No. 11 Cornell could not handle a late offensive barrage from No. 6 Georgetown, and lost, 13-6. No. 15 Brown and Dartmouth each grabbed a win, but Harvard suffered a 10-2 loss to Bucknell.

Johns Hopkins 10, Princeton 8

In late May 2002, Johns Hopkins played the final game of its season, losing to Princeton in the NCAA semifinals. On Saturday, the Blue Jays played their first game of the 2003 season, taking revenge on that same Princeton team. The Jays flew to an early lead and hung on for the 10-8 win.

In front of over 3,000 fans at Princeton, Johns Hopkins went ahead 8-3 at halftime. Bobby Benson scored three goals and Peter LeSueur added two for the Blue Jays in the first half.

Princeton bounced back for four straight goals in the third quarter. Joe Rosenbaum had two Tiger goals and Princeton keeper Julian Gould turned away an impressive 13 shots. But it was not enough.

The Tigers host No. 4 Virginia this weekend.

Georgetown 13, Cornell 6

In a game played at Syracuse University, Georgetown went on a late scoring streak to defeat the Big Red.

After a tight first half, the Hoyas broke free for 11 goals in the latter period. The Red, who held a 2-1 lead at the end of the first half, were outshot 45-21 by the end of the game.

Georgetown’s Neal Goldman scored four goals and assisted thrice. Cornell, who will fall in the national rankings, faces Colgate today and No. 10 Hofstra March 8.

Brown 7, Vermont 6 (OT)

Nine seconds into the third overtime period, the Bears finally broke a 6-6 deadlock and earned a win over Vermont.

Senior All-American Jon Thompson scored the game-winning goal, completing a hat trick.

Brown took a 4-1 lead in the first quarter but relinquished it by the fourth quarter.

Dartmouth 10, Colgate 7

Tom Daniels, Ben Grinell and Brandon Wright scored two goals each for the Big Green, who beat the Red Raiders in Hamilton, N.Y., Saturday.

Colgate held a 7-4 lead in the third quarter, but Dartmouth responded with six unanswered goals in the second half. Big Green goalie Andrew Goldstein made 13 saves in his collegiate debut, and held Colgate scoreless for the last 26 minutes.

Bucknell 10, Harvard 2

Depleted by injuries to key players, the Crimson were outplayed by Bucknell in Cambridge Saturday.

The Bison took a 10-0 lead and Harvard did not answer until the final period. Justin Sussman made 20 saves for Bucknell, while Jake McKenna made only nine stops for Harvard.

Andrew Sanders scored a pair of goals and a pair of assists for Bucknell.