The women’s hockey team earned its first winning streak of the season and had it snapped within a 24-hour span this weekend.

Yale (7-14-2, 3-7-0 ECAC) defeated Colgate University (10-16-0, 2-8-0) Saturday 4-2, avenging a loss to the Red Raiders earlier this season and marking its first consecutive wins of the season.

Deena Caplette ’06 beat goaltender Rebecca Lahar at 3:12 in the first period to give the Elis the early lead. But Alison Paiano answered in the 15th minute with her team-leading 10th goal.

The Red Raiders took their first advantage in the opening minute of the second period when Cheryl Setchell found the back of the net. But their lead was fleeting. Lisa Jacque ’06 tied the game at 14:03, and the Elis regained the lead for good with Deanna McDevitt’s ’03 goal three minutes later.

Yale added an empty-net goal in the closing seconds of the third period. Sarah Love ’06 recorded 15 saves for the win.

The Bulldogs returned to the ice Sunday at Cornell University (3-15-2, 1-8-1), looking to sweep the season series from the Big Red. But Cornell converted on two power plays en route to a 3-1 win — its first ECAC win of the season.

The Big Red dominated play the first two periods, outshooting the Bulldogs 18-9. Yale could not get its act together until the third period, but by then, it was too late. Maryann Nowak, Anita Khar and Pearle Nerenberg scored before Natalie Babony ’06 tallied Yale’s lone goal at 15:36 in third period.

Despite Sunday’s loss, the Bulldogs moved into sole possession of the sixth place in conference standings. Yale completes its five game road trip at Princeton University Friday before returning to Ingalls Rink for a rematch against the Tigers Saturday.

— Joshua Lotstein