In 1796, Yale graduate Moses Cleaveland gave a new Ohio settlement its name. This summer, 40 Yale students will be making their own mark on the city.

As part of an effort to expand its summer programs, Yale’s Undergraduate Career Services is offering two new summer internship programs this year. Bulldogs on the Cuyahoga will bring Yale students to Cleveland and British Bulldogs will send 15 students to London.

The program in Cleveland is based on Bulldogs in the Bluegrass, founded by Rowan Claypool ’80, which has brought 135 students to Louisville, Ky., over the past four years.

The Cleveland and London alumni associations designed their programs to provide more than just internship experience, UCS director Philip Jones said. Students live together, receive mentoring from local alumni and participate in planned activities. Claypool described his program as a “purer manifestation” of the residential college system.

“This is certainly a good opportunity for younger students as well as older students,” Jones said. “The housing is taken care of and you’ll be living with a bunch of Yalies and you’ll be around a bunch of alumni. I think it’s a very comfortable situation, particularly if it’s your first experience of being away from home.”

The Cuyahoga program offers more opportunities in the sciences, architecture and economic development than the one in Kentucky, said Ilona Paulin ’98, vice president of the alumni association of Cleveland. Among other planned events, students will have the opportunity to meet the mayor of Cleveland.

“I’m excited to be bringing Cleveland to the students and I’m very excited to be bringing the students to Cleveland,” Paulin said.

In London, available positions include internships in the offices of three Parliament members, Sotheby’s Auction House and the London Symphony Orchestra.

In Cleveland, students will be housed in the Sigma Nu fraternity dorm building at Case Western Reserve University. Those working in London will be staying near Hyde Park. Ê

One major difference between the two internship programs is payment. Students who travel to Cleveland are guaranteed at least $2,800 for the summer, in addition to a $200 travel stipend, Paulin said. Unfortunately, many of the positions in London, one of the world’s most expensive cities, are unpaid. While UCS will pay to house the participants, Jones said the students will have to come up with $1,500 for other expenses.

“The problem with international internships in general is that there is not the tradition as there is here of paying students to come work for the summer — we do have some paid positions, but we’ve a lot a number of positions that are unpaid,” Jones said. “We’re hoping that [the aid] will at least allow students to be able to contemplate doing this.”

Both Claypool and Jones said there were possibilities for further expansion of summer programs in the future.

“The goal is — to expand it in London next year but also to look to other countries we might utilize the model [of the London program] in; in particular, we might like to look at non-English-speaking countries,” Jones said.

Applications are due Feb. 24 for the Cleveland program and Feb. 14 for British Bulldogs.