While Yale hung on to its fourth-place tie, other top ECAC teams shuffled positions this weekend. Nationally ranked No. 4 Cornell suffered only its second league loss to Colgate Jan. 30, but came back to defeat the Red Raiders two nights later. A victory over Brown allowed Harvard to retain a first-place tie, and Union continued its hot streak to pull into third.

Colgate 2, Cornell 1 OT

Colgate goalie Steve Silverthorn made 31 saves on his home ice, stonewalling Cornell’s prolific offense and helping to snap the Big Red’s six-game winning streak Thursday night.

After Raider forward Dmitry Yashin lit the lamp early in the first period, the two teams were deadlocked through the end of regulation. Three minutes into overtime, Colgate made a late rush down the ice, and Adam Mitchell put the puck in the net to seal the win. Cornell coach Mike Schafer and goalie Dave LeNeveu argued the net came off its moorings before the puck crossed the goal line.

The game was frustrating all-around for the ECAC’s top team, which watched eight of its shots ring off the posts or crossbar. Because of its loss, Cornell likely will drop in the national rankings, to be released today.

Cornell 3, Colgate 1

Cornell returned home to Ithaca, N.Y., and turned the tables on Colgate Saturday, getting a sound win in a physical match.

The Big Red dominated the first period, outshooting Colgate 14-2 and taking a two goal lead. Chris Abbott and Sam Paolini scored early for Cornell. The Big Red played aggressively; Cornell was penalized 10 times by game’s end.

While Silverthorn had another strong game in net for Colgate, Cornell’s LeNeveu nearly made history. A shutout would have tied him with NHL great Ken Dryden (Cornell class of 1970) for the school’s single-season shutout record. After the weekend, Colgate sat in ninth place and Cornell clung to a tie for first place in the ECAC.

Cornell next faces Dartmouth, whom it has not defeated in the teams’ past 10 meetings.

Harvard 3, Brown 1

In its only game of the weekend, the Crimson never trailed, but Harvard never had a chance to relax. Brown played first-place Harvard tightly, only relenting after giving up an empty net goal in the final minute.

Bears’ goalie Yann Davis saved 49 Cantab shots to keep the game close. Harvard captain Dominic Moore struck first, scoring a power-play goal in the opening period. Moore’s penalty-killing was critical to the Crimson’s win.

The hard-fought victory gives Harvard momentum as it enters the Beanpot Tournament. The Beanpot, a yearly matching of Boston’s four Division I men’s ice hockey teams, begins today: Harvard faces Boston University.

Union 5, Clarkson 3

In Potsdam, N.Y., Friday night, Union won its fourth consecutive game, surviving a flurry of four goals midway through the third period to defeat Clarkson.

The Dutchmen and Golden Knights scored two goals each in a span of three minutes late in the game. One of them, a power-play goal by Union’s Chris Goodjohn, proved the game winner. The win puts the Dutchmen in third place.

Union 4, St. Lawrence 3 OT

For the first time in the program’s history, Union swept its opponents in the ECAC’s North Country.

In northern New York state, the Dutchmen nabbed a victory over St. Lawrence late in overtime Saturday. And Union beat Clarkson 5-3 the night before.

On Saturday, Joel Beal scored the game-winner with 52.4 seconds left in the five-minute sudden death period. After the teams played evenly through regulation, Union outshot the Saints 6-0 in overtime. Kris Mayotte made 36 saves for the Dutchmen, who are now in sole possession of third place.