The women’s hockey team put on a clinic Wednesday night in its final in-state matchup of the winter.

Compared to nationally ranked No. 9 Providence, Sacred Heart must have seemed like a pee-wee squad. Coming off a grueling 1-1 tie against the Friars Jan. 19, the Bulldogs (5-12-2, 1-5-0 ECAC, 1-2 Ivy) utterly spanked the Pioneers (5-8-1), 12-1 at Ingalls Rink Wednesday night.

“Sacred Heart is at a different stage,” said Nicole Symington ’05, who scored twice and added two assists. “They are in the building process and just getting used to being a Division I team, and that was evident in the score.”

The win marked the first time Yale scored over 10 goals since the Elis smacked Union College 11-0 Nov. 22.

Last night, Yale outshot the Pioneers 57-9. Allison Turney ’05 scored the gamewinner at 3:18 in the first period. By the end of the period, Yale had a 3-0 lead and never looked back.

Yale continued to find scoring strength in its freshman contingent; Natalie Babony ’06 scored two goals in the rout. But it was a composite effort, with 10 different Bulldogs finding the back of the net.

Pioneer senior captain Rori Jean scored the lone Sacred Heart goal in a second period that also witnessed six goals from the Lady Bulldogs.

“It was nice to put some points up,” Symington said. “But we do realize that it was against a weaker opponent and we have to be just as efficient when we play against tougher teams.”

Sarah Love ’06 made eight saves in the victory. Late in the second period, Sacred Heart replaced goaltender Taryn Catania, who made 21 saves, with Jenn Barris, who went on to make 24 saves.

But even Barris could not shut down the offensive onslaught. Suzanne McGoey ’06 ended the scoring at 13:29 with Yale’s third tally in the third period.

After starting the season 3-12-1, the Bulldogs have won two of three, including a come-from-behind 4-3 victory against in-state rival Quinnipiac University and the tie to Providence College.

“The confidence level is improving,” Symington said. “We’re starting to really make some strides.”

Yale next prepares for Canadian hockey; the Bulldogs host McGill in an exhibition game on Saturday. Except for the University of Vermont Mar. 1, the team faces only Ivy League competition before the ECAC playoffs commence.