After winning five of its last seven games, the volleyball team faces the first true test of its recent successes in the Ivy League when it travels to Princeton and Penn Nov. 15-16.

The Bulldogs (12-10, 6-5 Ivy) compete Friday night against Princeton, which is ranked third in the Ivy League, and face top-ranked University of Pennsylvania Saturday afternoon. The Bulldogs are one win over .500 in the Ivy League and tied with Brown for fourth place.

Yale has already lost to both teams this season, falling 1-3 to Princeton and 0-3 to Penn earlier this year. Despite its history with these two top teams and despite its tough 0-3 loss to Hofstra Tuesday night, captain Betty Picinic ’03 is optimistic about the Bulldogs’ chances this weekend.

“Coming off a loss is always difficult,” Picinic said. “We had a great practice Wednesday night though and we should be ready.”

Coach Peg Scofield stressed the team is now pushing to play its very best at a time when two wins this weekend could propel the Elis into a postseason berth.

“We don’t mind being the underdogs,” Scofield said. “We’re ready.”

On Tuesday against Hofstra, the Bulldogs made a line-up switch and moved Jaqueline Becker ’06, the team’s usual setter, to outside hitter. Becker had five kills, eight digs and 14 assists while playing this new position.

Scofield declined to say whether Becker will remain in the lineup as an outside hitter or be moved back to setter.

“We will play our strongest lineup,” Scofield said.

Penn is 10-1 in the Ivy League and defeated Harvard 3-0 this past Saturday. Princeton defeated both Harvard and Dartmouth this past weekend. Penn will lose their top spot in the Ivy league with a loss to either Yale or Brown this weekend.

Defensive specialist Jessica Kronstadt ’04 is excited about the new lineup the team used against Hofstra. When the Bulldogs faced Penn earlier this year, the Elis had problems with passing.

Kronstadt said the team has worked on the problems that plagued them earlier this season.

“We need a fearless attitude with the same amount of confidence that we faced opponents earlier in the season,” Kronstadt said.