While the men’s soccer team won the Brown-Adidas Classic in early September and Brown University won the Yale-Campus Customs Classic a week later on Sept. 22, the two teams still have not met face-to-face this autumn.

But this weekend, the Elis (8-4-1, 1-3-1 Ivy) travel to Providence, R.I. to face Brown (5-6-4, 1-2-2) in a key matchup for both teams, who are eager to improve their Ivy League standings.

Both teams have suffered heartbreaking losses this season. Three of Yale’s four losses were by a mere goal, and Brown has entered overtime thrice, losing twice.

“The issue that we have addressed is that we have to be able to win a game 1-0,” forward Jay Alberts ’04 said. “Especially in the Ivy League, where each game is so close that one mistake can cost you the game, as we have found out a few times this year.”

The Bulldogs dropped their second straight Ancient Eight game to Columbia last weekend on a goal scored with just two seconds remaining in regulation. Meanwhile, Brown forced the University of Pennsylvania and Columbia into overtime, only to lose both contests.

Yale forward Lindsey Williams ’05, who had a goal and an assist on Nov. 2, was once again named to the Ivy League Honor Roll. Williams is tied for the league points lead with 22.

Tying Williams is Brown’s Adom Crew, who missed the last seven games but still remains atop the list. Crew’s absence will help the Elis; he is one of the league’s most dominant players.

“They’ve had some bad luck with injuries, but the one thing that you can always count on with the Brown team is that they’ll compete hard and play together, so they definitely won’t make anything easy for you offensively or defensively,” Yale head coach Brian Tompkins said.

Picking up where Crew left off is Brown forward Ibrahim Diane, who has netted four goals and added two assists for a 10 point total.

Brown defender Jeff Larentowicz also was named to the league’s Honor Roll this week for his key role in holding Penn and Boston College scoreless through regulation. Larentowicz also added a goal off a corner kick against the Eagles.

Bear goalkeeper Christopher Gomez has a .847 goal against average and has posted three shutouts this season.

And the game is Brown’s final home game of 2002.

“It’s Senior Night for some of their guys, they’ll have emotional incentive, and they’re going to be difficult opponents for us,” Tompkins said.

While the Elis are mathematically eliminated from the Ivy League title race, a win against Brown would certainly give Yale a boost and help the team finish its season on a strong note. But a post season is out of the question.

“I don’t think we necessarily have to change how we have approached any game in the past,” Alberts said. “We have to be a little more determined defensively and finish the opportunities that we make for ourselves.”