The Hospital of St. Raphael has agreed to pay a $250,000 penalty to the state for the deaths of two patients who died during routine heart procedures in January.

Two women suffocated in January because the oxygen mask used during a routine heart procedure at the New Haven hospital was mistakenly hooked up to nitrous oxide, an anesthetic.

Two other patients also accidentally got the potent anesthetic instead of oxygen before the error was discovered, but both survived.

“The department feels that this payment is appropriate given the egregious nature of our findings,” William Gerrish, spokesman for the state Department of Public Health said.

There is no restitution for the families in the state’s agreement with St. Raphael’s, however families of both women have hired lawyers.

Hospital spokeswoman Cindy von Beren said that an out-of-court settlement has been reached with one family, and that negotiations with the other family and their attorney are underway.

–Associated Press