The tradition that we inherit with this morning’s issue of the Yale Daily News is one that began with anonymous editors, in a single room, 125 years ago. The aim then was a modest one: to provide timely, thoughtful and balanced coverage to readers each day over breakfast; to welcome commentary from the community; and to tell good stories that people want to read. It is that aim which motivates us still.

Today’s paper is officially the first for the Managing Board of 2004, whose names appear in the masthead to the left of this space. What began as a four-page, 5-cent broadsheet in 1878 is now a 12-page newspaper broadcast online and produced in its own building at 202 York St., brimming with reporters and steeped — particularly this year — in history. And a century later, our prices are lower.

There was a time at the (capital N) News when the news desk was it. We are fortunate to take the helm of a paper that in recent years has opened its coverage to New Haven and beyond, its eyes to the relationship between Yale and everyone else. We begin our tenure in the midst of uncertainty — about University admission policies, about labor issues and town-gown affairs, and about peace and stability in the world at large. Ultimately, the success of this newspaper will be measured by our ability to communicate the biggest issues delicately and completely, with news and analysis, features and photos, background information, graphics, and the voices of New Haven residents, students and University administrators alike.

To that end, the Managing Board of 2004 is committed to making this a more accessible newspaper, expanding the visual elements of the news and coordinating coverage. In the coming months, we will provide unbiased articles on our pages and take strong opinions in this box to better engage our readership. We ask you, as the Managing Board of 1878 asked its audience, to post comments and write letters; in short, to engage us in return.

Five months after President Levin began rallying support to reform early decision policies, this University stands to be a model for all others in righting an admissions system gone wrong.

Eight months into the ongoing labor negotiations with talk of an October strike, the delicate and nascent relationship between the University and the city is now being tested.

A year after the tragedies of Sept. 11, at a time that will define our generation, the responsibilities of Yale in New Haven and the nation will dominate our front page. But it will share space with debate over the role of the United States in the Middle East and the world on page two.

When the News’ first editors began their task, they were motivated by “the dullness of the times, and the demand for news among us.” Over a century later, the times are no longer dull, but the demand for news is just as pressing. It is with this in mind that we proudly continue the tradition of the oldest college daily.

Enjoy your breakfast, and see you again tomorrow.