The freshman facebook is not the only noteworthy publication on campus.

Graduate and professional students will soon have the opportunity to write for the Graduate Literary and Arts Magazine, a new project created through the McDougal Center, Yale’s institution for graduate and professional student life.

The publication of the magazine will begin in March 2003. The idea for the Graduate Literary and Arts Magazine was inspired by a similar publication called The Dudley Review at Harvard’s graduate center, project coordinator Jung Park GRD ’05 said.

Park said the Graduate Literary and Arts Magazine will allow the general graduate community to contribute creative works of prose, poetry, non-fiction, art and photography. Currently, Yale offers no such publication for graduate students, despite the fact that there are several undergraduate literary magazines.

As the literary fellow, Park is responsible for organizing literary events and working with many aspects of graduate life. In cooperation with writing fellow Michael Seringhaus, Park hopes to send a strong statement with the first magazine.

“Yale has such a rich literary and artistic environment,” Park said. “This publication will be a great addition.”

Park added that she envisions the magazine as a creative space for graduate and professional students to come together and share vital interests that may be outside their area of research.

“I hope that the publication will help foster a sense of wider community and stimulate dialogue among graduate and professional schools,” Park said.

Many department-specific publications exist currently, Park said, but this would be the first to include creative works from the entire graduate and professional student population. The magazine’s first staff will have the opportunity to establish the framework of the magazine, including giving a name to the project.

Park also hopes that the magazine will open doors for the graduate literary world.

“The magazine is a unique forum, not offered in many other universities, that speaks to the graduate and professional community and gives it visible representation,” she said.

Graduate students agreed with Park.

“Every graduate student wants to be published,” Damara Griffith LAW ’04 said.

Although most law students hope to publish articles in law journals, Griffith said that many do some creative writing on the side.

“Law students can be creative too,” Griffith said. “If it’s well-publicized, it will probably draw some interest.”

Approximately 1,200-1,500 copies of the Graduate Literary Arts Magazine are estimated to be circulated, according to the McDougal Center Web site. It is unclear, according to the magazine’s organizers, whether there will be one issue per semester or one per academic year.

The magazine’s staff will consist of members of the graduate and professional schools. Any graduate or professional student may apply for a position on the staff, but the title of editor in chief will go to the McDougal literary fellow. Students may apply for positions on the staff and attain forms for submission by going to the McDougal Center’s Web site. The deadline for applications for the staff is set for Oct. 15 and students have until December to submit original works for inclusion.

Although most graduate students don’t aspire to literary prominence, many agree that the magazine is a good idea.

“I usually don’t write prose,” said Jens Guettel GRD ’06, “but it sounds like an excellent idea.”