With an energetic mix of impressions, singing and acrobatics, Saturday Night Live’s Jimmy Fallon entertained a sold-out crowd in Woolsey Hall Friday night.

Fallon, a comedian, author, musician, and one of People Magazine’s Most Beautiful People, is best known as the co-anchor of SNL’s “Weekend Update” and recently released his first comedy album “The Bathroom Wall.” Friday night, he performed in front of nearly 2,700 fans who had purchased tickets from the Yale College Council for $15.

At 9:10 pm, Fallon appeared onstage to thunderous applause. Dressed in khakis and a red button-up shirt and clutching a pink-haired Troll doll, Fallon began his stand-up routine “Troll Doll Celebrities” by doing a series of impressions; among them were John Travolta, Jerry Seinfeld, Nicholas Cage, Robin Williams, and Adam Sandler.

“I’m so psyched to be here. Thanks for having me here at Yale,” Fallon said. “I told my parents I was playing Yale and they were like, ‘Yeah, sure, in your dreams.'”

Between parts of his routine, Fallon asked students about their majors and commented on the sports teams.

“[I know I] I definitely am at Yale when I’ve got to give a shout out to the lightweight crew team,” he said.

“You guys don’t seem too stiff here,” Fallon said later. “You’ve got a good thing going.”

After singing two tracks from his new album, the country song “Drinking in the Woods” and the R&B-style “Idiot Boyfriend,” Fallon took off his guitar and harmonica and climbed on top of the speakers and onto the balcony of Woolsey Hall, where he greeted his fans.

Much of Fallon’s routine focused on college life. As he paced back and forth, rubbing his hair, he commented on shower baskets, fake IDs, and roommates.

For his final song, Fallon turned once more to his Troll doll and performed a medley of spoofs of nine popular tunes. Impersonating such groups as U2, R.E.M., and Counting Crows, Fallon sang lyrics promoting a Troll doll.

After the song, Fallon exited the stage to a standing ovation and returned for an encore. He sang another song from his album, followed by a Halloween song he performed during SNL’s Weekend Update segment and a mix of 80’s songs over the beat of MC Hammer’s popular song “U Can’t Touch This.”

After playfully kicking the microphone stand, knocking over his stool, and throwing a guitar pick into the audience, Fallon left the stage.

YCC President Andrew Allison ’04 was extremely pleased with the event. He said everything went “fabulously, without a hitch.”

Allison said he thinks a Fall Concert will become an annual event, although performers will not necessarily be comedians.

Allison said in an email that the event cost roughly $40,000, all of which the YCC expects to recover through ticket sales.

Among the students who attended the show were several diehard Fallon fans. One of them, Christine Lacy ’05, said she got in line for the 9 p.m. show at 5:45 p.m. Clutching a Fallon poster just before the show was slated to begin, Lacy said she has been a Fallon fan ever since he first appeared on SNL four years ago. She praised his great impressions.

Gertrude Agbozo ’05 agreed.

“Part of the reason he’s so funny is the transition he’s able to make from a calm demeanor to a caricature of someone else,” Agbozo said.

Audience member Carrie Coughlin ’05 enjoyed the concert, though she preferred Fallon’s singing to his standup.

“I thought he did a great job with his band impressions,” Coughlin said. “The standup was iffy, but the music was excellent.”

David Ralston ’02 returned to Yale for the concert.

“Speaking as a graduate,” Ralston said, “work sucks. This was fun.”