Maren Haus, a star athlete and 2002 graduate from Wake Forest University, earned the position of assistant coach for the women’s tennis team.

“I am quite pleased to welcome Maren onto our athletics coaching staff, as she comes to us from a national powerhouse program at Wake Forest and is a proven elite-level player in Division I,” said Anthony “Duke” Diaz, director of tennis operations.

A recent inductee into the ACC’s 50th Anniversary Women’s Tennis Team, Haus garnered a bevy of other laurels while at Wake Forest. She was a two-time All-ACC selection and in September 2001, she ranked No. 43 in the nation as a singles player.

Haus also wrote herself into the Deacon record books by becoming one of just five Wake Forest players to break into the all-time top-10 singles (103) and doubles (70) victory lists.

“Maren has a lot of energy and is a great player herself, so the whole team is excited about getting to work with her this year,” team captain Biffy Kaufman ’03 said.

Haus’s achievements as a netwoman are more impressive in light of her reputation as a top scholar-athlete. Her name was a mainstay on the Dean’s List for every semester of her collegiate career.

“It’s great to have such a young coach who understands how tough it is to balance time on the court with an academic workload,” Kaufman said.

The team believes Haus’s tennis experience will translate into practical on-court drills in addition to new off-court conditioning and training drills.

This summer Haus familiarized herself with the Yale Tennis Center where she worked at the tennis summer camps.

“In addition to her delightful personality, she has already impressed us as a fine coach and clinician,” Diaz said.

At Yale, she joins second-year head coach Chad Skorupka, who himself was an assistant coach for the Demon Deacons during Haus’s freshman and sophomore years.

“Maren has a strong passion and will to be successful, and I hope that attitude will come out in our players this season,” Skorupka said.