This June, the administration named Hilary Witt the interim women’s ice hockey coach for the 2002-2003 season. She replaces John Marchetti, who finished with a 30-104-11 record over five years at Yale.

“I am extremely excited,” Witt said. “This is a great opportunity for me.”

Witt is just two years removed from wrapping up her own illustrious hockey career at Northeastern University, where she set the all-time record for goals and points. Ranked among the top 10 in all of the ECAC offensive categories, Witt was one of 10 candidates for the 2000 Patty Kazmaier Memorial Awards, presented annually to the nation’s top intercollegiate women’s varsity ice hockey player.

After a one-year stint with the U.S. Women’s National Team, Witt came to Yale last season as an assistant coach under Marchetti. Her youth, exuberance and experience made it easy for her to form a strong rapport with the Bulldogs, who trust that her leadership will take them into the postseason.

“Her commitment to discipline is something that our team has been lacking,” captain Kaitlin Porcaro ’03 said. “And with it, there is no doubt that we will rise to the next level.”

Though Witt acknowledges that the team is in a period of rebuilding, she is certain that the Bulldogs will be a force in the Ivies this season.

“We are one or two years removed from where we would like to be,” Witt said, “but the team has enough leadership and desire for us to have a successful season.”

The early strategies for the team revolve around having a solid defense and keeping scores low.

“[Witt] made it very clear that things were going to change, and I know that her demands and expectations will only make us stronger,” forward Erin Duggan ’05 said.

Harry Rosenholtz, who has been at Yale for four seasons, serving primarily as the goaltending advisor, now joins Witt as an assistant coach.

“I am very confident that the new coaching staff will bring many successes to Yale women’s hockey,” Duggan said. “And I am very excited to be a part of it.”