To the Editor:

I am deeply saddened by the controversy surrounding the person we all will select this spring as the alumni fellow to the Yale Corporation.

I am privileged to count Maya Lin ’81 ARC ’86 as a friend. But yesterday I spent an hour with the Rev. W. David Lee DIV ’93 talking with him about his desire to be elected to the Corporation. I intend to vote for him for the same reason I voted years ago for William Horowitz ’29, a citizen of this town and the first Jew to be elected to the Yale Corporation.

Russel Goddard ’54

April 11, 2002

The writer is a resident of Milford, Conn.

To the Editor:

I knew nothing about the Lee vs. Lin controversy until I received a mailing from a group opposing Lee that was full of personal attacks — and accusing Lee of not disclosing all of his backers when this very group itself did not do so either! Then I received a grossly biased letter about the election from the AYA. I also received a mailing from the Rev. W. David Lee that contained nothing but positive words and no attacks on anyone.

Ronald G. Kirchem MA ’67

April 11, 2002

To the Editor:

So that the increasingly close partnership between New Haven and Yale can continue, I am writing Yale President Richard Levin today to ask him to invite Lin and Lee to talk publicly in the near future about their vision for New Haven and Yale.

Russel Goddard ’54

April 11, 2002

The writer is a resident of Milford.